Having one of the best SEO tools at your disposal makes you the smartest kid on the block, because an effective SEO optimization strategy cannot be put into place without one.
SEO tools nowadays are whip-smart and it’s a fact that you simply cannot do without them. From analytics to reporting, to uncovering new opportunities, they seem to have-it-all. But, it is also true that choosing the right one can be a challenge for even the most seasoned experts out there. It’s even harder for startups, or teams just gearing up, because competition is crazy out there.
We tested numerous best SEO tools for you and narrowed them down to the best ones of 2019. Even if you’re on a budget, we have a few great free SEO tools too.
Let’s get started.
The 10 Best SEO Tools To Use in 2019 – Free & Paid
Best SEO Backlink Analysis Tool
- Our Rating: 4.8 out of 5
- Starting Price: $99 per month
With a huge database of 16 trillion known links, covering 200 million root domains, Ahrefs stands above the rest. It is one of the most powerful and most recommended best SEO tools around. Ahrefs itself is not a standalone tool, but a suite of SEO tools. It’s an all-rounder when it comes to optimizing your website experience.
The tool allows website owners and publishers understand backlinks better and keep an eye on all the link building opportunities lying around the corner. The backlink index of the tool is updated with fresh data every 15 minutes, so that you can grab new link opportunities immediately. You can also use this SEO tool to find the most linked to content within your niche.
Undoubtedly, Ahrefs can be considered as one of the most useful SEO keyword tools, because of its robust functionality centered towards keyword analysis. The keyword explorer gives results for 171 countries and from 10 different search engines.
Although the tool itself is not free, the backlink checker feature is. The functionality shows the top 100 backlinks to any website, along with five most linked‐to pages, most common anchor texts, domain rating, and URL rating.
- Site explorer for gaining insights on organic traffic, along with backlink checker
- New keyword ideas, keyword difficulty index, and related keywords’ lists
- Comprehensive content explorer to provide information on any article for any keyword
- Extensive backlink database, along with domain comparison
- Database of PPC (pay-per-click) text ads
- Notification alerts for new and lost backlinks
- On-page SEO audits to quickly diagnose issues affecting search performance
Following subscription plans are available with this SEO backlink analysis tool:
- Lite – at $99 per month for one user. 500 tracked keywords, 1 project, 2 domains per day, 100 URLs per day, and more
- Standard – at $179 per month for one user. 1500 tracked keywords, 10 projects, 100 domains per day, 500 URLs per day, and more
- Advanced – at $399 per month for 3 users. 5000 keywords, 25 projects, 250 domains, 2000 URLs, and many other features
- Agency – at $999 per month for 5 users. 10,000 keywords, 100 projects, 1000 domains, 5000 URLs, and all other advanced features
Bet SEO Monitoring Tool
- Our Rating: 4.8 out of 5
- Starting Price: $99.95 per month
One of the most popular marketing SEO tools in the SEO community is SEMrush. It is a perfect pick for someone looking to see how their website ranks in comparison with the competitors. It’s a robust all-in-one software which comes with a curated list of features. These include competitor analysis, keyword research, on-page and technical SEO fixes, and other useful marketing for digital marketing experts.
Once launched, you can analyze your rankings and what changes are needed, as well as new ranking opportunities. With SEMrush, you’re able to compare domains and keywords to better understand your website’s search data, and find profitable keywords in any niche.
The feature of organic traffic insights allows you to easily view how your articles are doing and what needs to be optimized. With one dashboard, run a diagnostic check on your website. Overview your website’s performance, along with nitty-gritty like traffic analytics, competitor research, and backlink analysis.
No need to randomly guess your competitor’s strength now, as with SEMrush, you can access competitors’ backlink data and use it to knock them off the organic listing. Guaranteed success right there.
- Detailed analytics revolving around competitors’ content strategy
- Competitors’ keywords analyzer, along with keyword rankings report
- Display advertising tool for monitoring competitors’ ad strategies
- Powerful backlink analysis to improve link building
- Elaborate keyword research to find best keywords, along with phrase matches
- Cross comparison of domains to compare and contrast the data
- Visual charts to steal a quick glance at your competitors’ online performance
SEMRush is one of the best SEO tools which comes with following paid plans:
- Pro – at $99.95 per month, for startups and teams with limited budget
- Guru – at $199.95 per month, for small and medium sized businesses
- Business – at $399.95 per month, designed for companies with strong web presence
- Enterprise – a custom plan for large enterprises
Best SEO Keyword Research Tool
- Our Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- Starting Price: $49.99 per month
Another one of the best SEO tools recommended by many, Majestic grabs number 3rd spot in this roundup.
Although Majestic doesn’t come with an array of features like SEMRush and Ahrefs, it comes with focus. Focus on backlinks. The tool claims to have the largest publicly available link intelligence database, with the index being updated several times a day. This ensures the users are provided with fresh data every time they need it.
The majestic million feature allows you to see the ranking of the top million websites. Along with the site explorer feature, which lets you evaluate a URL or a domain in detail and the total number of backlinks you own. Additionally, the backlink history abilities of the tool shows the number of links that have been found by their web crawler in past.
If you’re looking for a full suite of SEO tools, including extensive keyword analysis, monthly search volume, or a content explorer, you will need a little more than just Majestic.
- A huge backlink index with new data every 15 minutes
- Majestic million showing the ranking of top million websites
- Domain comparison functionality
- Bulk backlink checker to evaluate backlinks for up to 400 URLs at the same time
- Site explorer with referring domains, anchor text, and backlink details
- Search explorer for generating URLs matching with the keyword
- SEO browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox
Majestic marketing SEO tool comes with following pricing plans:
- Lite – at $49.99 per month for one user. Designed for light users. Most of the core features are available
- Pro – at $99.99 per month for one user. Meant for professionals. All the Lite features, along with historic index, rank tracker, and more
- API – at $399.99 per month for 5 users. Ideal for developers and agencies. Everything in Pro plus full API and custom monthly data
Best SEO Software
- Our Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- Starting Price: $99 per month
Moz is another SEO software that comes with an integrated suite of SEO tools. These tools are designed to target the improvement of your website’s search engine ranking and your overall online presence. The large amount of information and the elaborate solution the tool comes with may come across as a little too over-whelming for some. But, if your requirements need you to get a comprehensive SEO reporting tool, Moz is the software for you!
With Moz, you can get insightful reports on how your website is performing, and what you need to do to improve it. The software offers keyword research tools, an SEO keyword generator, and backlink research analysis to give detailed data on all the inbound links and link quality.
You can also get a free SEO toolbar called MozBar to get quick insights about the website you’re visiting. MozBar sits peacefully at top, side, or bottom (your choice) of your browsing window at all times. Clicking on it will generate an instant report to help you quickly glance at metrics.
- Detailed keyword research tool to analyze keywords by volume and by competition
- Keyword difficulty index, along with keyword volume and expected click-through score
- Missing title tags and broken redirects analysis to run site audit
- Competitor backlink analysis, along with link building opportunities
- Keyword ranking monitor to evaluate keyword performance and visibility on SERP
- On-page content optimization to improve page ranking
- Custom SEO recommendations fitting with a particular keyword
Moz SEO software has following paid plans:
- Standard – at $99 per month for 2 users
- Medium – at $179 per month for 10 users
- Large – at $249 per month for 25 users
- Premium – at $999 per month for 60 users
Best Marketing SEO Tool
- Our Rating: 4.6 out of 5
- Starting Price: $39 per month
If you want to make a killer SEO strategy without spending a fortune, SpyFu is the best SEO keyword tool for you. It can be considered as the Swiss army knife of SEO tools, as it provides one of the most detailed SEO analysis to the users.
With SpyFu, you can easily find out the number of times a keyword has been searched, along with the keyword’s difficulty to rank. In addition, you can search for a domain to explore all the inbound links for improving your niche’s ranking. This search can be further refined by putting a keyword filter on it.
When it comes to competitor analysis, this SEO keyword research tool facilitates analysis of your own website and your competitors’ to pull out all the relevant data. The amount of organic keywords they have, monthly clicks they get, and their paid and organic competitors. You can also get information about every keyword they’ve bought on Google AdWords.
- Smart backlink analysis, along with domain comparisons
- Detailed competitor research tool to compare SEO strategies
- Keyword analysis, with difficulty index and top 50 ranking keywords of competitors
- Pay Per Click findings and ad spend history
- Automatic addition of most-requested keyword to projects
- SEO reports for evaluating your site’s organic traffic, and other KPIs
- AdWords advisor for keywords’ recommendations
- Weekly reports on your domain standings, plus easy data exports
SpyFu, one of the best SEO competitor analysis tools, is available on following plans:
- Basic – at $39 per month, 5000 weekly tracked keyword rankings, unlimited domain overviews, 10,000 top list results, and a few more features
- Professional – at $78 per month ($39 for 1st month), 15000 tracked keyword rankings, 50,000 top list results, custom branded reporting, and more
- Team – at $299 per month, 40k keyword rankings, 75k top list results, 5 user logins, and other features
Best Free SEO Tool
- Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- Starting Price: Free
The list of best SEO tools wouldn’t be complete without mentioning Google Search Console. If you’re not inclined towards full-scale SEO services, Google Search Console should be your first call. The tool lets you evaluate your website performance at a glance. The handy options it comes with allow you to pinpoint potential problems, only to devise an effective SEO strategy later on.
An SEO checker tool, Google Console helps you to view and monitor Google’s indexing of your site to make sure it is Google friendly. Whenever your site encounters any unwanted issues, Google will send you email alerts to notify you, so you can make timely fixes to them.
The onboarding is pretty straight forward and easier than most SEO tools. If you already have a Google account, you’re good to go. All in all, Google Console is one of the free SEO tools that you should be checking out now. Don’t get your hopes too high though, as it doesn’t have to offer much when it comes to elaborate SEO monitoring tool.
- Site’s search traffic analytics and overall performance reports
- Search analytics consisting of site’s impressions and clicks
- Indexing problem detector with option to request re-indexing
- Email alerts in case of spamming or any other issues
- URL inspection abilities to provide crawl, index, and other information related to site
- Dedicated status reports for testing and tracking AMP pages
- Inbound links details to show the links leading to your site
Google Search Console is one of the best free SEO tools available in the market.
Free Online SEO Tool
- Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- Starting Price: Free
On #7 of best SEO tools, we have Ubersuggest. It is one of the free SEO tools developed by Neil Patel.
A dedicated SEO keyword tool, Ubersuggest helps you generate keyword ideas on the basis of keyword you provide. It also shows top ranking SERPs for them. From short to long-tail phrases, the tool makes sure you get all kinds of top keyword suggestions to make your content stand out from the rest.
The tool is a great option if your center of focus is to generate organic traffic for your site. It provides a quick solution to determine whether a keyword is worth targeting or not. All the while keeping the competition in view.
Other key areas that are tapped by the tool are keyword volume, top ranking content list, backlink analysis, and keyword ideas for particular domains.
- Top ranking keyword recommendations based on domains
- SEO pages report to list down top ranking pages on the basis of content
- Backlink data for finding best link building opportunities
- Keyword volume data, along with paid difficulty and SEO difficulty score
- Cost Per Click (CPC) data reports
- Top ranking sites, as well as estimated visit counts
As of now, Ubersuggest is a free SEO tool.
Best SEO Backlink Checker
- Our Rating: 4.4 out of 5
- Starting Price: Free
Another powerful addition to the free SEO tools category is SEOquake. It is one of the most popular browser extensions among the SEO community. It’s a perfect tool for running quick on-page site audits to monitor how your site is performing against your competitors. The extension enables the users to view multiple search engine parameters, only to save and compare them with the results obtained for other projects.
SEOquake provides multiple performance measuring tools, without cluttering your browser. For instance; the SEO dashboard it comes with gives a light overview of all the important details, like domain and backlink details etc. Similarly, the SEObar generates a quick SEO summary of the webpage you’re visiting. SEObar is an interactive tool which can be turned off at any time you want.
The vast data library of the extension stores all kinds of data from SEMrush, Alexa, Google rank, and Yahoo index, and facilitates quick switching between them at any time you want.
It doesn’t end here. SEOquake also accommodates keyword analysis with options like keyword density and detailed report on all the top ranking keywords.
- Real-time on-page SEO audit through one click
- Internal and external link details of webpages
- Multiple domains comparison, with exportable reports
- SEObar and SEO dashboard for gaining quick SEO insights about any webpage
- Comprehensive SERPs analysis with option to export results in CSV
- Structured keyword analysis for optimizing the content strategy
- Extensions available for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari
SEOquake is a free SEO browser extension.
Free SEO Monitoring Tool
- Our Rating: 4.4 out of 5
- Starting Price: Siteliner is a free SEO tool
If you’re running low on budget, you’re in luck today. We tested another one of the free SEO tools available online. Siteline is an extremely easy to use SEO checker tool which quickly locates the duplicate content on your website and identifies issues which affect your site’s quality.
With Siteliner in place, you can instantly run a full scan of your website to locate major SEO problems. These can be blocked pages, broken links, and messed up redirects. You can also evaluate average page size and page loading speed, number of internal links, and number of words per page. This data is also available in comparison with your competitors to help you make quick fixes wherever required.
As duplicate content can negatively impact your Google rankings, it’s important to use a tool which specializes in this domain. Siteline reveals all the key improvements you need to make in your webpage, in order to beat the competition.
One of the key advantages of Siteline is its quick speed and the ability to quickly crawl webpages to generate results without any unnecessary lag.
- Internal duplicate content detector within a domain
- Page power tool to determine the power of a page by evaluating the backlinks
- Broken links identifier to scan all the link patterns, as well as links not working
- Competitor analysis on metrics like page loading speed and average page size
- Detailed Siteliner reports for viewing key information about each page
- Free – allows you to run monthly analyses of sites up to 250 pages
- Premium – allows you to run analyses of sites up to 25000 pages. The Premium plan asks for credits purchasing priced at $0.01 each, where each credit allows to scan one page
SEO Reporting Tool
- Our Rating: 4.3 out of 5
- Starting Price: £149.00 per Year
Pretty evident by the name, SEO Spider is a crawler. It crawls websites and pulls all the important elements for analyzing the webpages. As an SEO checker tool, SEO Spider comes with a feature set which allows you to instantly perform site audits and diagnose issues on the fly. This nifty tool generates real-time reports to help you gather on-page SEO data without getting into any technical hassles.
The key features SEO Spider is equipped with allows you to identify broken links, bad redirects’ chains, duplicate content, and many other on-site data analytics. All of this information helps to make informed decisions when it comes to SEO optimization.
Unlike other best SEO tools, SEO Spider is not a cloud based solution. The tool runs on Windows, macOS, and Ubuntu. You’re out of luck if you use any other operating system.
- Broken links and server errors detector
- Page titles and meta description tags to identify tags that fall outside of SEO best practices
- Internal tab to give you all the relevant information about pages on your website
- Crawl overview report to show the summary of the crawl
- Integrates with Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Generate XML Sitemaps and Image XML Sitemaps
- Free – 500 URLs crawl limit, allows detection of broken links and errors, duplicate pages finder, and other core features
- Paid – at £149.00 per year, unlimited URLs crawl limit, along with all the advanced features of the tool
This marks the end of my review of best SEO tools. However, what you need to understand is that an SEO tool alone won’t do the work for you. After all, it’s not a magic wand. These tools are merely a guiding light for you which tells you what you need to do to excel.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to the SEO optimized content that you create for your audience and grab their attention to get solid results.
Check out these other useful articles
- 14 Best Free Cloud Storage Services of 2019
- The 10 Best VPN Services of 2019 | Free VPN Software and Tools
- 10 Best Password Managers of 2019 – Android, iOS, Web, Mac, Windows
- 11 Best Social Media Management Tools Used by Marketers in 2019
- 14 Best Mozilla Firefox Add-ons, Apps & Extensions of 2019
- 14 Best Google Chrome Extensions and Add-ons of 2019
- 15 Best Gmail Add-ons, Extensions and Apps of 2019
- 10 Best Productivity Apps of 2019
- The 10 Best Business Management Software of 2019
- 10 Best CRM Software for Small Businesses & Startups in 2019
- The 11 Best Mind Mapping Software of 2019