The number of people using news apps totaled over 114 million users in 2020, which is a 15% increase from previous years.
This digital news consumption saw a massive increase amidst the global COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.
It is also understandable with the busy lives of today’s generation, people just don’t have the time to listen to the radio, watch the news on television, or read the newspaper. It is simply easier to get your news intake in a way that can be done on the go.
That is why news apps have gained traction and become more and more popular. But with so many available in the market, the question is which one should you choose?
To answer your question, we have listed the best news apps available that are trusted and followed by millions of people worldwide.
These best news apps are available on both Android and iOS.
- Top World News Apps
- Top Business and Finance News Apps
- Best News Feed Apps
- Other News Apps
So let’s get to it!
Top World News Apps
1. BBC World News
BBC is one of the best world news apps that is globally respected worldwide. BBC is dedicated to keeping you up to date on news and latest stories while also incorporating a bit of fun with its articles.
BBC world news is amongst one of the best free news apps which offer unbiased news. It is also one of the few Android apps that give you control over the data that you share with the app. You are given the option to turn “sharing stats” off, this stops the app from showing your personalized results.
Moreover, BBC also has a live-streaming news channel, this is embedded straight into the app. Therefore, once you download the app, you will also be alerted of any breaking news that happens and warrants your attention.
- The app works in an offline mode too. Any blogs or articles you have loaded will be accessible in offline mode.
- You can get a notification to stay updated on a personalized news feed according to your interests.
- Option to turn push notifications on will keep you updated on any breaking news that warrants your urgent attention.
- You also have the ability to turn background syncing off.
- Free of cost
CNN was the first 24-hour cable news channel playing in the United States. The CNN official app serves as a compressed version of the CNN website.
CNN has over 90 million people who either watch the news on CNN’s TV channel or the mobile news app. CNN has 36 editorial operations around the world making this possible.
This is one of the best news apps available for iOS and Android. With the CNN app, you can watch live CNN, HLN, or CNNi television anywhere, anytime.
The app also offers a wide range of articles that focus mainly on its US audience. The app also provides most of CNN’s content which you cannot access from anywhere else.
With the CNN app, you can stay up to date with the latest news from the US and other parts of the world. You will have access to news both in the form of articles or in a recorded or live video format.
- The app is easy to navigate through with an across-and-down navigation swipe.
- The app is very user-friendly
- You can also set custom alerts to your preference
- With the app, you have access to CNN’s original TV programs, original series, and movies
- Focus is on news from the US, with most of the articles being original content of CNN, which is unavailable elsewhere
- Free of cost
3. Reuters News
Reuters News app helps you explore a wide range of articles, video news, and picture galleries. Reuters News is a complete app that delivers breaking news, market data, and analysis from trusted news sources across the world.
Reuters has made a shift from general news audiences to target professionals. The app aims to assist these individuals in rapid decision-making. Reuters has focused on bettering their app’s user experience to make this news app an important tool for professionals.
The app provides a free-to-access service in the news market.
- The app is highly accessible, with the ability to read articles online, in night mode, or even read them later if you have saved stories
- The app allows you to personalize notifications for the topics that are of interest to you
- The app offers a wide range of content ranging from politics, business, science, and much more. You even have access to crucial information about stocks, currencies, bonds, and commodities
- You can also choose to get daily breaking news alerts right to your device
- Free of cost
Since 2010, News360 is known for its user-friendly interface and rich content.
The app pulls news from various sources based on your interests and preferences. By liking articles you can set the app’s algorithm to display news based on your interests and create a personalized experience.
The app also allows for iMessage and smart Apple watch integration. You also have the option to connect your News360 app with your Google Plus, Facebook, and Twitter accounts allowing you to easily share the news with your friends.
- The app has a card-based design that allows you to see headlines and the overview of the article at a glance.
- You also have the ability to customize your feed by liking or disliking articles
- You can also search for articles you are looking for through the search bar provided
- News360 provides a collection of news from different reliable sources while also providing their reference
- You also have the ability to save news articles to read at a later date
- Starting at a monthly subscription of $29.99 for the News360 premium offer
5. HuffPost News App
HuffPost has both local and international editions and is the best news aggregator app.
The HuffPost site offers a wide range of original content including news articles, blog posts, and satirical pieces.
You can access content that covers politics, environment, business, technology, entertainment, local news, and more.
Founded in 2005, HuffPost has over 25 million active visitors every month. The app is unique in the sense that HuffPost does not just have its regular writers but also invites politicians, academic experts, and celebrities to write for their blog.
- The app is encompassing of a range of topics and genres including both local and international news, as well as blog posts on entertainment, comedy, lifestyle, culture, health, and popular media.
- You have the option to subscribe to the HuffPost newsletter of your choice, with different options to choose from.
- You can access video-based news
- HuffPost also offers coupons and promo codes so you can save money on their featured retailers.
- Starting at a monthly subscription of $5.99. Subscribers get access to exclusive newsletters and are provided with an ad-free experience.
Top Business and Finance News Apps
6. Apple News
Launched in 2015, Apple News was launched as a replacement for Newsstand.
Apple News is a subscription-based service that combines more than 300 newspapers, digital publishers, and magazines. Some of these publications include People magazine, The Wall Street Journal, and National Geographic Magazine.
The service is currently only available in the US and Canada.
- It provides personalized feeds for its users
- You can also access audio versions of articles
- You avoid data sharing with third parties
- Starting at a monthly subscription of $9.99 for Apple News+ subscription
7. The New York Times App
The New York Times is one of the top business news apps available. The app allows you to experience its award-winning journalism is easy to navigate and elegantly designed mobile app.
The New York Times App also provides an international edition that offers global news and local content from 50 offices across the globe.
- The app allows you to share articles, photos, and videos on your social media apps including Facebook and Twitter. You can also email these articles, photos, and videos to anyone
- Get quick access to articles on your favorite topics by customizable sections list and add your favorite topics
- Save articles and view them on any device with the app’s customized view mode
- Automatic news refresh ensures you do not miss any news and sat up to date
- Breaking news notifications
- Starting at $8/month for a year, and then subsequent $17/month subscription cost.
8. Yahoo News App
Yahoo News is among the best conservative news app that publishes the top 8 stories in the morning and then again in the evening. Yahoo pulls stories from different sources and also provides embedded videos and relevant tweets.
The news app comprises news from different genres like world affairs, technology, science, entertainment, business, sports, and national news.
Yahoo News focuses on authenticity making sure that the sources they take news from are authentic like the BBC.
- You can customize your feed to show topics and publishers of your choosing
- You can watch exclusive live videos from different press conferences, trending news, and more
- Ability to search different news sources for specific things you are looking for
- You get a deep insight into a range of topics from a variety of perspectives
- The “extra news” section of the app allows you to choose news from an international location
- Free of cost
9. Google News
Google News gives its readers more perspective by incorporating loads of different trusted news sources and groups together similar news articles.
Google News app is among the best conservative news apps which also allows you to follow local news when you turn on the location.
You can manually check the source of news articles and even proceed to subscribe to those publications.
Moreover, you can follow specific sources and you can choose which type of content you want to see in the future.
- The newscasts feature creates a slideshow of various articles from different sources and outlines their headlines with a short description
- The Google News app includes video news
- The app also allows offline reading so you can read articles anywhere you go
- Free of cost
10. Microsoft News
Previously known as MSN News, Microsoft News is an alternative news app that offers a user-friendly interface to easily and instantly get access to the news.
When you first use the app, you can design the news feed by choosing the topics you are interested in. You can also change these topics at any time you want.
You can also enable your location to access purely local news.
- Streamlined sources display choices list in a clear way
- Seamlessly switch between global and local news with consistent editions
- Dedicated video section if you prefer to watch live news streams or video news
- The app can even notify you with breaking news so you stay up to date on the latest news updates
- Free of cost
Best News Feed Apps
Reddit provides a blend of entertainment and interesting news. Reddit combines news aggregators, social media, and message boards all in one place.
You can choose to subscribe to subreddits that allow you to keep track of topics that are of interest to you ranging from fashion, controversial content, technology, and more.
- Reddit has a message board for communities which give you the ability to discuss the news with other users and help you connect
- You can also post, share, discuss, and vote in communities
- You can also choose the night mode option or choose from different themes
- Remove ads by subscribing to Reddit and get the whole experience uninterrupted
- Starting at $3.99/month or $29.99/year.
- There is also a free version available to use
Launched in 2008, Feedly is a cloud-based news app. Feedly is a smart RSS reader that combines news articles from different authentic news sources.
Feedly allows you to build a customized news network. You can integrate Feedly with your other applications and accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and others.
Feedly is not just an app but can also be accessed on their website where you will also be able to see your feed.
- The app has an AI-driven search engine that collects all your interest based on your search histories
- The app offers a versatile platform by being connected to over 40 million feeds
- It has fast content updating and also supports multiple layouts
- You also have the ability to create your news feed from scratch with Feedly
- Free of cost
Twitter is a real-time information network that offers the latest stories, ideas, and opinions. You can follow what’s trending or people you are interested in.
The conciseness Twitter offers with its 240 character limit per tweet has made it a popular destination for people who do not have the time to go through lengthy articles or newspapers.
Twitter is a great platform to engage with people and share your opinions.
- You can follow topics, people, and topics that interest you so you stay up to date on things of your interest
- It is a great platform to socialize with people who share views or interests in similar things
- The direct messaging feature lets you start a conversation with different individuals
- Free of cost
Flipboard conveys the news along with fun animations and image galleries. The app has a friendly user interface that gives it the appearance of a digital magazine.
Once you start using the app, Flipboard will analyze the news you visit and recommend similar stories for you to read.
You can also save interesting articles on your custom Flipboard magazine to read them at a time more convenient to you.
- You can easily access your top 9 interests on the Flipboard
- The “daily edition” gives you important updates of the day
- You can even choose to follow people’s activities on Flipboard
- Read, share, and like news articles on your social media apps
- Ability to mute the app if you do not want notifications
- Free of cost
PAPR gives you access to a bunch of different magazines and newspapers all within one app.
You can choose a publication from the navigation options available including GQ magazine, The New York Times, Lonely Planet, and many more.
- Receive custom recommendations based on topics of your interest
- Comment on posts, tag friends and share your opinions
- The app allows you to share videos, articles, podcasts, and other content you like.
- Customize your PAPR newsfeed by the posts, people, and hashtags you like
- Free of cost
Other News Apps
Gawq wants to tackle the problem of fake news created by social media, where our view of the world is shaped by manipulative algorithms and personalized feeds. Gawq presents news from a range of sources, allows users to filter between news, opinion, paid content, and more, compare sources across the political spectrum, check facts and even review the publication’s content for accuracy.
Additionally, Gawq pulls stories from more than 150 top media sources from both ends of the media landscape, covering topics like U.S. and world news, politics, business, sports, tech, and more, and lets you follow the topics you care most about.
- Gawq’s newsfeed is algorithm free, meaning the news you read today won’t impact the stories you read tomorrow.
- Gawq delivers 360 coverage of the top trending news events influencing the world, without bias from over 150+ major news sources.
- Gawq allows users to rate, review and discuss media coverage to help build a better news platform and join a community of readers.
- Full coverage allows users to compare the latest fact checks across the web through specific stories and filtered categories.
- Gawq lets you follow your favorite topics and keep up with the latest on the things you love.
- Free of cost
17. Think Remote
If you are looking for news on remote working and digital nomads, you can log in to Think Remote. The content helps people to grow personally and professionally in the future of remote working. You can get remote work stats, data, and even remote hiring posts as well.
- Get periodic newsletter
- Ability to post comments in articles
- Share articles on social media
Over to you!
The roundup stats the best news apps you can easily download to your devices and use on the go with Android and iOS apps. If you have suggestions to include in this article, feel free to share them on: email@example.com
- Create More Productive and Human Remote Meetings
Top 10 Free Accounting Software Roundup for Small Businesses & Startups